Sometimes I just don't understand.
I have Dish Network, a satellite television provider. I formerly had Direct TV. Honestly, I like them both.
Anyway, for the past year or so, I have had a HDTV, but have been unable to receive the local stations in HD because Dish Network has been slow in getting the technology in place. Sooooo, I put up a regular old tv antenna which has done a reasonably good job of allowing me to view most of the local channels in HD.
The other day, I got an email from Dish Network saying the local channels in the Jackson area are now available. They gave me an 800 number to call. I called and the lady said they would have to change out my dish with another that would allow them to beam signals from satellite 61.5. She explained they would charge me $59.95 for the upgrade or waive that amount if I would sign a two year contract agreement.
I politely but sternly told her "No and No". Then I said I guess I need to know what kind of deal Direct TV will offer me.
Very quickly, she said they would gladly waive both requirements and wanted to make an appointment to have my dish changed out. Believe it or not, I have an appointment for the afternoon of Mother's Day.
The next day I noticed that my DVR was not recording programs from the local channels as I had programmed. Then I realized that I was not getting the local channels from my satellite provider. So I call them to complain. They agreed that I had signed up for the local channels (not in HD until available) and had been getting the service. They agreed that my account was current. But for some reason the local channels had been removed from my package. Oh, then the reason is discovered. When they set up the appointment for the installation of the new dish, the local service had to be cancelled until the satellite dish was changed out.
Whaaaat? I asked if I wanted to add HBO to my account, could they do it in less than 30 seconds? Yep. If I wanted to delete the local service from my account, could they do that within 30 seconds? Yep. Then what the heck is going on?
Why couldn't they turn my local channels back on and, on Sunday, just before installing the new dish, cut the service and cut it back on when the dish is installed? The answer: "The computer won't let us do that." Aw man get serious. Here's a company with some of the highest technology in the industry and they can't complete a simple electronic transaction. Unbelievable!
But it's true. They lack the will to look for the technology to provide the service I signed up for.
Oh well, come Sunday afternoon, I will be able to get the local channels in digital and HD format. And in the meantime, I have requested a credit for the time they were unable to provide me with the service I signed up and paid for.
I hate it when companies can't perform the simplest of functions. What a shame.
Vision update--don't look past the miracles
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment