Sunday, May 11, 2008

Music, Music, Music

I love music. As you know I enjoy the oldies primarily because of the many happy memories they bring to mind when I hear them. But, I also enjoy the old standards featuring Sinatra, Fitzgerald, Glen Miller, etc.

Country music just doesn't get any better than Alan Jackson. To me he has the absolute perfect C & W voice. Of course I wouldn't be southern if I didn't like Faith Hill....oh my what a pretty lady...inside and out.

Classical is most entertaining. I learned early on that classical is enjoyed by people worldwide. You can't get better stereo than listening to a symphony orchestra.

My favorite instrument is the piano, followed closely by the guitar and the violin.

Once, my mom enrolled me in piano lessons. A couple of months later, the instructor suggested that I may never learn how to play.

In a senior play in high school, we did "Little Women". The play was to end with the cast singing "Happy Birthday" to Marmee. "Happy Birthday"....hey that's easy. No, unh, unh, not even. The director, after hearing me sing, changed the ending and we all smiled and said, "Happy Birthday Marmee!".

I was a Methodist in my most formative years. I sang in the youth choir at church. But, on more than one occasion, the choir director suggested it would probably sound better if I just mouthed the song without noise.

A couple of years ago, I purchased a guitar and took guitar lessons. I told the instructor that I would love to learn how to play "Jesus Loves Me" and some folk songs. A year later, we ceased instruction and I still can't play "Jesus Loves Me".

Why, "Jesus Loves Me"? That's another story for another time.

So, you understand, that the musical instrument I play best is the jukebox. Hey, it's cheap too. For $10 I could play 240 songs if they are six plays for a quarter. Well, dang, they used to be six for a quarter. Excuse me while I search my pockets for another quarter.

No comments: