Friday, June 20, 2008

Well, which is it?

Liberal or conservative; which one are you? It’s not an easy question.

For some nutty reason, I’ve been listening to talk radio (Fox) in the mornings. It’s horrible. Loudmouthed DJ’s who talk like they know everything about it all. The problem is they don’t realize how ignorant they really are.

Anybody whose viewpoint is different from theirs is labeled a “liberal”. Sho’ nuff true, a “liberal”. Back in the 50’s and 60’s people who thought differently were automatically labeled “Commies” or “Communist Sympathizers”.

My dictionary defines a liberal as one who is open minded and a conservative as one who adheres to traditional methods or views. So which are you?

I guess our founding fathers must have been liberals. They divorced themselves from the ruling government of the day. They established religious freedom contrary to the wishes of the Pilgrims who refused to practice religious tolerance. They established a new fangled government based only on ideas. That’s pretty liberal stuff.

Conservatives today believe in the “literal” translation of the U.S. Constitution. If it’s not plainly written out there, then it’s some liberal idea. Yet, when the Constitution was written is was one of the foremost liberal documents of the day.

Personally, I don’t think you can label a person as a liberal or a conservative. People have different beliefs of what is right depending on the circumstance.

You can be fiscally conservative and socially liberal and vice versa. Just because you do not believe in my philosophy only makes you different from me. That’s all, different.

I can’t help but believe that Jesus Christ was a liberal. He challenged the teachings of the day and put forth a new philosophy. He forgave people who mistreated him. He was all inclusive, regardless of social or economic strata. He was a non-conformist on a mission. Yep, I think Christ would be labeled a “liberal” by today’s standards.

And what about all those different religions that have been established. Liberal or conservative? I don’t know. Did the Baptists carry the label of liberal when they broke away from another religion? Or was it a conservative move. If you adhere to the definitions put forth earlier, you could say it was a liberal movement.

Yet today, many Baptists consider themselves to be fundamentalists. Maybe so, maybe not. I’m not just picking on the Baptist religion. I could have used most any other as an example. Honestly, I not too worried which Christian religion a person subscribes to. The way I figure it, all Christians are aiming for the same target in life. Some just choose a more difficult path.

But liberal or conservative? Nah. How about different?...Different from your point of view on the topic at hand. Hey, I can buy into that. On some issues you and I are on the same side and, on others, we differ. Isn’t that much more civil? Now let’s see what we can do to iron out those differences.

All that thinking makes me want to listen to some new music. Let’s see....it’s still six plays for a quarter.

1 comment:

Blogger said...

im libertarian go bob barr