Sunday, August 8, 2010

Necessities Become Unnecessary

My last day of work was Monday, July 26. I have retired.

Today when I dressed casually for Church, I put on a pair of socks and shoes with leather soles. It's the first time for both in almost two weeks.

In a former job, I traveled on the road five days and four nights of almost every week. I truly enjoyed the job but had to learn to live a different lifestyle. Instead of four or five pairs of socks, or three or four dress shirts, I always had enough for two weeks (including underwear). I still have two week's worth of underwear.

Though I haven't been on the road for a long time, I guess old habits die hard. Out of curiosity, I counted my socks. I have 15 pair of black, 13 pair of brown, and two pair of navy blue socks; all over-the-calf dress socks.

This made me do a double check on other things. I counted 38 ties, 8 suits, 2 blazers and 3 sport coats in the closet. I'm scared to check on the white shirts.

Since graduating college in late 1968, my jobs have all required me to wear a coat and tie. I started out with one suit, which I wore for two weeks before I got my first paycheck that allowed me to buy another. Then I tried to add a new suit each payday until I had enough for a week.

During my working career, I always lacked casual clothes. Whenever we would go on business trips which required casual wear, I would have to shop.

Since I retired, I have evolved from the "Coat and Tie" dress code and have slipped into shorts and t-shirts with deck shoes or flip flops.

It's amazing how the necessities of proper dress have become unnecessary.

No comments: