I didn't sleep well last night. We had a Vestry meeting at our Church last evening and the Bishop was there. He tries to make at least one Vestry meeting a year with each Mississippi Parish. It's a time when he listens to us and we engage in one-on-one conversation about the health of our parish and the Church in Mississippi. It's usually a rewarding and uplifting experience.
Last night was different. We all gathered and our minister announced that he and his wife are divorcing. Further, he is leaving our Church where he has been the minister for over 15 years and is leaving the Diocese of Mississippi. He passed out his letter of resignation which is being sent electronically and by mail to each member of the congregation today.
It caused a pall to envelop the whole room. Apparently he had talked with the Bishop about it several weeks before the announcement and arrangements have been made to supply us with an interim priest until we can find another. In the Episcopal Church, finding a priest is a long and complicated procedure and will probably take about two years. The interim priest is a wonderful person with a sterling reputation and is known for stepping into tough situations with calm and level headed assurance for the parishioners affected.
While I am stunned at the news, I accept our minister's decision and know we must move forward in a positive manner. I know the interim priest and look forward to having her at the helm during the stormy seas to come.
But, wow, I'm going to miss those wonderful sermons, that smile, and sense of caring from Fr. Tom.
Vision update--don't look past the miracles
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment