Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Blessed? You bet.

Yesterday was my last day of active work. I am officially retired. I am blessed to have various piecemeal retirements that, when combined, will provide an adequate income for us. I'm sure there are many others who will have much more income than I, but what I've got is better than I actually thought I would have.

Over the years, we have tried to stay out of debt, pay our bills on time, and save a little money. Now I will see if that all pays off.

In my employment years, I have always done what is necessary to provide for my family. Sometimes we didn't know where the next dollar would come from, but God always provided. No, God didn't send me money, but gave me the ability to earn money if I wanted to.

I believe it is the same in retirement. God is not going to step in to control inflation for me on a fixed income. In fact, I'd like to have a "little" work to do a few months out of the year. I have lobbied for over 20 years and wouldn't mind having a couple of small clients to represent. That type of lobbying would be classified as part time because the issues wouldn't be such that would require high visibility and year round pressure on legislators.

Or, I might consider working during the MBraves season at the baseball park as an usher or ticket taker. Again, it would be seasonal and certainly not full time.

If necessary, my wife and I are both willing to take on full time jobs even though our earning capacity may be limited. If it is needed to pay bills and provide the necessities, we are willing to do it.

If we have our health and God given ability, we will always be blessed whether at work or at play.

Thanks be to God.

2 comments:

Mrs.H said...

And the people said, "Amen."

Barb said...

Ditto the "Amen"!