Saturday, August 14, 2010

Traffic Information

There's some of very useful information I want to make known to you. There is a site, msTraffic.com, that provides a wealth of information to the public. There's even a version of this site for mobile phones.

If you go to the regular version, you can look on the left hand side where you can sign up for traffic alerts. You just tell them which routes are of interest to you, give them your text or email address and MDOT will alert you to accidents and construction delays you may encounter.

On Friday in our travels from McComb to Brandon, I checked the mobile site for the warning sign messages in the Jackson area. I had already been alerted of a traffic accident between the Stack and Pearl and was watching to see if it would be cleared before we got to that area.

So I went to the msTraffic.com site for mobile phones. From there, I could check all the message boards in the Jackson area for possible problem areas. Then I checked the traffic alerts. Finally I clicked on the Jackson area traffic cameras and monitored the traffic along our route as my wife drove us through a wall of water almost all the way to Jackson.

Having the information available allowed us to make some smart decisions which helped avoid lengthy traffic jams. If you haven't tried it, I can certainly recommend this service to you. The areas of concentration are Jackson, Gulf Coast, Southaven, Golden Triangle, Oxford and Hattiesburg for traffic cameras. The same areas are covered for traffic alerts, or you can check statewide, or you can check by MDOT Districts of which there are seven throughout the state. As near as I can tell, Jackson is the only area which is currently covered by message signs warning of possible delays or traffic stoppage.

Try it, I think this is one service you will agree is well worth using.

No comments: