Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Cat's Meow

Our cat’s name is Ruth. We didn’t name her. I ran across her at a cat show in Jackson about 7 years ago. She was featured in the category of spayed cats. Dang, it was love at first sight. She seemed to like me too. In fact, the owner allowed me to carry her to the competition ring and put her in the cage and then pick her up after the competition and bring her back to her “home” cage. I went to the cat show every day just to "handle" Ruth.

We had been looking at getting a cat for a while. Through research, we found a breed that didn’t shed like regular cats. That’s what Ruth is......a Cornish Rex. They only have one coat of hair, so they shed like you or I would. Normally a cat has three coats of hair.

Well during the cat show, I made a deal to purchase Ruth. The owner, a cat vet from Houston, TX, said she would ship her to us as soon as she made “Grand Champion” status. And she did... flew her in the passenger section of a Continental Airlines flight.

Her hair is very curly as you can tell from the picture. It’s like little corn rows. Surprisingly it’s very soft to the touch. She feels like velvet. With a more pointed face, long ears, and long legs, the Cornish Rex looks different.

Ruth has been an excellent companion. She likes to help me at the computer and remarkably, she stays off the computer keys. She like to help the Prom Queen sew. She’s a little more active in that category because she likes to grab the thread and pull it.

Anyway, we’ve really enjoyed her company. One of the things we do is take a walk every day. She walks on a leash without problem. Due to curiosity, she’s not a fast walker, but we make it down the street and back or walk around the house. As long as she gets her walk, she’s happy.

3 comments:

dhcoop said...

Oh how beautiful!!!

Supermom said...

dat ain't right.....
love the kitty kat

Mrs.H said...

What a cool cat! I haven't heard "Alley Cat" in forever. I've always liked that song.