Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Character Is Important

The internet is a great medium if properly used. By the same token, the internet can be used in less than honorable ways. There have been instances of internet bullying and rumor spreading which have caused people to commit suicide.

The internet can also be used to defame someone or some organization. Defamation is the act of making untrue statements about another which damages his or her reputation. If the defamatory statement is printed or broadcast over the media, it is libel and, if it is only oral in nature, it is slander.

Defamation, libel, and slander are just fancy terms for lying about somebody or some organization.

Recently, we have seen the internet used to spread vicious attacks or untruths about candidates for public office. There are some sites on the internet dedicated to sorting out fact from fiction and they do a relatively good job at it.

The problem is many people are too lazy or too ignorant to check on potential defamation to find whether or not it is true before hitting the “forward” button and spreading it further.

The public is easily incensed over identity theft where someone steals vital information about you and uses it to their gain.

The public, you and I, ought to be disgusted and incensed over the stealing of a persons character by spreading false information.

Political candidates have a hard job trying to appeal to the electorate. When false information is spread about that candidate, attention must be focused on correcting the information.

I don’t care which candidate you support for any office. I am concerned, though, that we are often so thoughtless that we “buy in” to the defamation being spread on the internet. Personally, I try to check on information before passing it along. Yes, it takes about 30 seconds to check it out. If I am at all dubious about it, I refrain from sending it on until I can get some verification as to fact or fiction.

I don’t want to be a part of stealing a person’s character. Rather, I want to do unto others as I would want them to do unto me. Hopefully you feel the same way.

After all, character is important.

No comments: