Monday, July 28, 2008

And They Match

When I was a child growing up, our family had only one set of glasses that matched. Those were part of my Mother's crystal and probably weren't used but two or three times a year.

For the everyday meals, we each had our own glass and no two were alike. I always knew where I was supposed to sit because my glass would be there. When we got married we started out with, believe it or not, unmatched glasses. Somebody actually gave us all their spare glasses as a wedding gift and that's all we had.

Later we bought a matching set. But when children came along, they got broken one by one. For several years our everyday "crystal" mirrored that with which I had grown up.

I finally got tired of it and decided to get us some everyday glasses that matched. We went to some fancy store and paid way too much for them. But, hey, they matched and it made the table settings look better.

A few years after buying the new glasses, we were in WalMart and saw the same exact glasses there. A box of 20 cost maybe $7.50. So I bought two boxes (40) glasses and brought them home. For the past fifteen years, we have always had a reserve supply of glasses that matched.

Over the past month, we, the adults that we are, managed to break three glasses. Not to worry, I just go out to the store room and fetch three more for replacements.

It's really a nice feeling to have all the glasses to match. And I think I'm down to about 25 in our reserve supply. Hmmm, we may still have a matching set to pass down to our heirs.

2 comments:

Supermom said...

I always say, life it too short to save the good stuff.

black betty said...

i don't think i'll ever know the feeling. i only have like 6 glasses that match...and they're plastic!!! LOL!!!

i need to go shopping.