Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year's Eve

Once again the end of a year is here and a new one is waiting in the wings.

About 20 years ago we lived in a small neighborhood where six or seven couples would gather at somebody's home for a New Year's Eve party. It was great fun. We all ate together, talked and joked, danced, drank, and shot fire crackers at the appropriate time. The parties usually lasted into the wee hours of the morning. At the close, we could all walk home.....some in straighter lines than others.

Then on New Year's Day I was always up early enough to watch the Rose Parade preview and then the Rose Parade. I love watching that parade.

After the parade, there was lunch and the bowl games started and went into the evening hours. I always had two televisions cued up so I could see all the games. They were not spread into two or three days as they are now. I would settle into my oversized recliner with a pitcher of martini's and a jar of olives at hand along with various other snacks for the days viewing. I'd watch some football and down some martini's. I usually napped through the Rose Bowl and awaked in time to catch the end and the start of the Orange Bowl. By the time the Orange Bowl reached it's 45 minute halftime (really), I was tired of football and looking forward to the end of the game.

After we moved from that neighborhood, we rarely went to New Year's Eve parties. We've never been party animals and really never enjoyed going out to bars or clubs for celebrations.

This year our routine is.....well, routine. We ate pork pie which is a tradition in our house along with black eyed peas and greens. My wife was in bed by 10 pm and here I am blogging as I await the final outburst of noisy fireworks.

Tomorrow, I'll get up and watch the Rose Parade again. Afterward I'll tune in to the bowl games. I'll probably nap through at least the half of one and maybe two. And I will eat cold pork pie....I love that stuff cold...always have. There will not be any martinis because I'm out of olives. Anyway, I drink more water than anything else these days.

I'm sure my "celebrations" would be boring to most people. But that's alright. I'll enjoy the evening before and the first day of the new year because I get to do exactly what I want without worrying what others might think. The biggest decision I'll have to make is whether or not I want to shave.

And you know what? I probably will shave.

Here's wishing you a happy New Year....yippee....yeah, yippee. Now can I go to sleep?

No comments: