That term probably doesn’t make much sense. A neighbor of mine introduced me to the “GET TO Club”. He’s a two time cancer survivor and thinks about it every day.
I’m a heart disease patient who is doing very well and I still think about it every day.
Both of us have been given a second chance to do God’s will. These days we don’t have to do anything, we get to do it. We’re thankful for work, for chores, for paying taxes and bills, for being able to do all the things we do, because we were given a second chance and now we get to.
I often tell the story that 10 years ago I would get winded just walking across a room. When the small limbs would break from the trees during a storm, I could not manage to pick up more than one wheel barrow’s worth. Then I would have to sit down and rest.
At age 56, my pep seemed to start failing me. Little by little over five or six months, I would get just a little worse each day. But I held it in, sloughed it off and plowed straight ahead trying to hide my discomfort.
Eventually, it became so bad I could not get a full breath. It was then that I decided to go to the doctor. I packed an overnight bag just in case, called the doctor to see if they could work me in, and drove myself to the hospital. The children weren’t at home and my wife was at work. They did an EKG and then dared me to move. Do not even lift an arm or leg. “No, you can’t go to your car and get your bag”.
I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, atril fibrillation, and deteriorating heart muscle. On top of that, the Doctor told me I have scar tissue from several heart attacks. I was surprised because I had never had a heart attack…hmmmm.
I guess it was possible to have encountered a heart attack. I have a type A personality and was going 110 miles an hour 18 to 20 hours a day and trying to be a perfectionist in all my undertakings.
They whisked me up to a room, put me in one of those awful hospital gowns (hey I had pajamas in my bag), started IV’s and did more EKG’s, a heart catherization, and two cardioinversions (which didn't work for me). I didn’t stay in the hospital but three days, but getting back to normal took longer than I would have ever expected.
Anyway, I’m doing well. I take my prescribed medications, go to the doctor once a year, and do pretty much whatever I want to do. I have learned to listen to my body. When my body gets tired, we rest. If I’m in the middle of yard work, it will wait for another time. I’m reasonably laid back now and have slacked up a bit on perfection. Perfection is great for Olympic athletes. I don’t fall into that category.
I am an official member of the “GET TO Club” and proud of it. Thanks be to God.
Vision update--don't look past the miracles
8 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment