Saturday, December 5, 2009

Eating in the Car

As I was driving home this morning, I looked in the rearview mirror at the stoplight and saw a man, a woman, and a young child in the SUV behind me.

The guy had his baseball cap on backwards, was wearing sunglasses, and was obviously eating. In fact, all of them were eating.

He had some kind of fast food item and a cup of coffee. She was eating on something and chasing it down with a Mountain Dew. I couldn’t tell what the child was eating but he too had a drink.

As we left the stoplight, he followed closely behind me taking a bite, chewing, licking his fingers, and then having a sip of coffee. The problem was he never let go of the sandwich and used his driving hand to hold the coffee cup. I’m just glad he didn’t get a cell phone call.

I’m sure they were enjoying themselves and I really do not have a problem with that. I wonder what the inside of that SUV looks like.

I don’t eat in the car and never had the desire to do so. When our children were young, they were not allowed to eat in my car either. If we went to Sonic or someplace like that, we got our food, got out of the car and ate at one of the picnic tables provided. I don’t do drive through windows except to make a purchase to take elsewhere to eat.

When our kids were young, my wife would let them eat in her car. Oh my goodness, the mess they made. Potato chips make oily spots when ground into seat covers. Spilled drinks are obvious days and weeks later. I can remember once….honest truth…. that I found ants inside my wife’s car. Did it bother her? No.

I don’t know what it is about driving that makes women hungry, but it does. Observe the drive through lines at fast food joints. The drivers are predominately female.

But, as I said earlier, I don’t have a problem if you wish to eat and drink in your car, but please don’t try to use the cell phone at the same time….especially if you are following me.

No comments: