Saturday, April 26, 2008

Whole Lotta Shaking Going On

I haven't seen much about it in the local paper, but Reno, Nevada has been hit with a series of earthquakes over the last couple of days. The heaviest is a 4.7 but several were over 3.0.

I've never been in an earthquake. One person in Reno described it as exciting. Exciting? Oh yeah, my excitement would probably be three dimensional. Over the past week there have been 1,222 earthquakes logged in the United States and Puerto Rico. Most of the quakes are from central Alaska through the Aleutian Islands and along the west coast of the U.S. and adjoining states.

There have been some small ones in the New Madrid fault along the northwestern border of Tennessee. One near the Tennessee/North Carolina border, one in Illinois and one in NY state.

I've been through tornadoes, hurricanes, hailstorms, and near lightening strikes, but never had the earth shake, rattle, and roll beneath my feet. Here's hoping that's one experience I will never experience.

No comments: