Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Ghost Busters

It's been over 15 years since we moved into our house. It was much larger than our previous home with a huge kitchen, four bedrooms, four and a half baths, etc. You get the picture.

The master bedroom is on the ground floor and the remainder are up stairs. We had furniture in the master bedroom and in our youngest daughter's bedroom. My wife claimed the smallest of the bedrooms for a sewing room and the other one was bare.

My wife's cousin had recently moved and downsized. So she offered to give us her mother's bedroom set. Aunt Inez had died several years before. We jumped at the offer and moved all the furniture in and had a true guest bedroom. It is the bedroom directly above the master bedroom.

Our neighborhood is very quiet. You should know that I do not like any sounds in my house that I cannot control. Thus, no chiming clocks or anything else that makes unnecessary noise. Once we had a powered roof vent which was triggered by a thermostat. I made the installers put in a switch so I could cut the motor off if the thing got to making too much noise. It's just an odd pet peeve.

Suddenly, at night we would hear somebody walking on the floor above our bedroom. We could hear the dresser drawers opening and closing. The handles on the dresser are the type that are hinged and you pull them up to use them and let loose when finished and they sort of make a clanking noise.

I would get up to check things out. Nothing. This went on for several nights and then for several weeks and then for a couple of months. My wife would check it, I would check it, we would check together. But we could never find anything.

So we surmised that what we had was a real ghost. Probably the ghost of Aunt Inez. She didn't bother anybody. She just walked around and opened and shut dresser drawers. We decided she was harmless and it would be our little secret. We didn't even tell my wife's cousin.

One day her cousin came to visit. She and my wife were upstairs in the sewing room and her cousin had her purse open. Her cousin left before dark. That night we didn't hear Aunt Inez.

Nor did we hear her during the enusing nights. We figure Aunt Inez must have hitched a ride back to her daughter's house in her daughter's purse. She is probably enjoying being with her daughter. They always had a special mother-daughter bond.

Do I believe in ghosts? I do now.

1 comment:

tank said...

Love this story! Growing up we had a living room that only got used maybe twice a year for holidays so the doors to that room always stayed shut. The piano was in that room. Daddy worked off a lot and was gone some nights. One night when he was gone, we heard the piano start playing. Mother got my sisters and I and locked us in a bedroom and called our closest neighbor to come and bring his gun. He got there rather quickly. The piano was still playing off and on. He got his gun ready, swung open the door, and...saw our cat walking up and down the piano keys! Someone had let him in and accidentally shut him up in the living room. Guess that's about as close to a ghost our house has seen.