When I was in college, I was the president of the campus Canterbury Club; a religious organization for young Episcopalians. During my first year as president, my sophomore year in school, I attended the Diocesan (statewide) Canterbury Club meeting at Camp Bratten Green just north of Canton.
I was running for state president and was looking for all the votes I could muster. I met a guy from Southwest Jr. College and we meshed very quickly. I asked him if he knew any of the girls. He said his sister who went to MSCW was coming and agreed to introduce me to her.
Well he did. And something happened. It's hard to explain....almost unbelievable. I instantly fell in love with that girl. We had a lot of good fun that weekend and I went back to campus and told my room mate that I had met the girl I want to marry.
Ironically, she went back to the "W" and called her Momma and told her she met the boy she thought she would like to marry.
Long story shortened, we dated for a year, got engaged at the state Canterbury Club the next year. Stayed engaged for 13 months and then married. We've been married 42 years and it seems like maybe ten years.
There are a lot of people who don't believe in love at first sight. I didn't either but I do now.
Oh yes, I won the election and became the State President of the Canterbury Club. But finding that special gal was the biggest win of my life.
Vision update--don't look past the miracles
9 years ago
2 comments:
Old Bopper, what a sweet story. Hope my husband and I make it to 42...we are working on 25 this year. My mom and dad were married 54 when he passed away. BTW, I went to Southwest.
I believe! Mr. H and I went on our first date December 1, 1979 (I invited his roommate to come somewhere with me & my roomie, he couldn't go, but suggested Mr. H). A month and a half later, January 19, 1980, he asked me to marry him. To this day, we celebrate December 1.
Post a Comment