I am appalled! Since 1980, I have walked the halls of the Mississippi Capitol as a legislator and a lobbyist. Since the last election, there is new leadership in the House and the Senate. I know there is a learning curve when placed in a new position of responsibility, but the curve shouldn't last this long. This is the 73rd day of the scheduled 124 day session.
This is a Wednesday and the House of Representatives convened at 9 am this morning and it is now 9:30 in the evening and they are still in session. Tomorrow at 8 pm a legislative deadline occurs. By that time all general bills and constitutional amendments reported out of the committee in the house of origin must have received initial floor action.
They are currently on item 23 of a 93 item calendar. That means they have handled 23 bills today and have another 70 to handle tomorrow.
Parliamentary procedure in the Mississippi Legislature is generally among the best in the nation. However, this year is has been rudimentary at best. The House leadership seems to making up rules on the fly.
Today I have witnessed legislator after legislator bringing up bills for consideration and, in many cases, the legislator is totally unprepared. There have been a couple of instances where it was obvious the presenter had not even read the bill.
I am saddened by the lack of institutional knowledge I have witnessed today.
Vision update--don't look past the miracles
8 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment