Today is Father's Day. I've heard from my two daughters today. One was at church with us and shared breakfast. The other lives near Memphis, works in retail sales and had to work today.
My wife and I drove to McComb to spend a few hours with her father. He's in his late 80's. He's a great guy and I love him as I would my own father.
My father died of cancer just over 30 years ago. I think of him often and miss him dearly. On the trip back, I tried to vision what I would be doing with my Dad if he were still alive. He would be 89 years old.
I can imagine we would get together and I would grill him a huge T-Bone steak medium rare (more medium than rare), give him a loaded baked potato, a nice green salad, some fresh French bread and tea to drink. Then we would have dessert....most likely banana pudding.
Growing up I never knew there was any cut of steak except T-Bone. I was grown and married before I found out about the other cuts.
Perhaps,Dad and I would talk and remember our times together in the Army Reserves, or perhaps hunting or fishing. And somehow he would manage to make me laugh....he was a natural at getting me to laugh.
It would be a fine time together. When the time came for him to go home, I'd shake his hand. We didn't hug, we shook hands. I guess it was just a guy thing. When he died in bed at home, the last thing I did was shake his hand.
I miss my Daddy.
Vision update--don't look past the miracles
8 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment