Sunday, February 22, 2009

Washington, D.C.

I have to admit that the conference I recently attended in Washington,D.C. was well worth the time.

The hotel I stayed at was excellent and had the best in room coffee maker I have ever experienced. They also had an excellent elevator operation. You pressed the floor you wished to go to and immediately it told you which of the six elevators would service you. When the doors opened, your destination floor showed on the side of the door. There were no buttons to press in the elevator.

Marriot uses Jamison mattresses. Jamison is a manufacturer of some of the world's finest mattresses. Everybody raves about the Marriot mattresses. We have a Jamison talalay latex mattress which is a top of the line Jamison. I can attest that the Marriot mattress is not even close to the quality of the talalay latex. I was glad to get back to my own bed.

I even wonder at the taxi service in the District. It's very reasonable.

But, I just don't like Washington, D.C. for a number of reasons.

1. It reminds me of a huge grave yard. It is absolutely innundated with memorials to the dead. That's not my idea of a swell place to be. I don't ever plan to be laid to rest in anybody's cemetery and don't particularly enjoy visiting them.

2. Washington is just too damn expensive. My room was $250 per night. Food in resturants is outlandish. Hey breakfast for $14-16. They need a few chicken farms to help with the cost. A sandwich for lunch...$20. Dinner in the hotel $45 before taxes. And Mississippi allows us $46 per day for food. Get real.

3. Everybody has their hand out. One guy carries my luggage from the front door to the front desk...give him a tip. After I check in, another dude wants to carry my one bag to my room for another tip. No thanks guy. I toted this baby all the way through the airport and am perfectly capable of finding my own room. Have a good day.

The guy who hails a cab which is located ten feet away, wants a tip. The cabbie wants a tip. I'm just glad we didn't have elevator operators.

4. Everybody in Washington is important. At least they think they are. Some are mere children...recent college grads who wear rimless glasses and gel hair do's. Somehow they wrangled a job with a politician and think they run the world. Sorry fella, call me when you have some experience to go with your self perceived importance.

Washington, D.C. just isn't my glass of iced tea. If you like it, good for you. I'll stay away and let you move up one place in line, but you'll still have to wait for whatever it is you plan to do.

I learned a long time ago that if you can't drive your car with your bright lights, the place probably isn't worth it. I doubt they need dimmer switches in Washington, D.C.

2 comments:

Jen said...

This is one place I absolutely am just going to have to visit in my life, just once. I use to book all the trips for my exboss and I was totally jealous, haha I want to go just once ;)

I understand what you mean though. I know from booking all his stuff that it is expensive! Outlandish. AND I understand everyone there thinks they are more important than the other. I dealt with a jacka$$ from DC on the campaign trail and I almost buried his body somewhere. haha Needless to say, he got sent back to DC without his bags. Grrrr.

Bob Everett said...

Jen,

I think you really ought to visit it. The Smithsonian is great to see. And it is the nation's capitol.

Don't let my impression discourage you. Like I said, it's just not my glass of iced tea.

Lot's of people think it is a great place to visit.