I went to the store to get some 60 watt incandescent bulbs today. Yeah, yeah, I know.
We do have the new screw in florescent bulbs in our lamps and over the bathroom mirrors. They work pretty well. They’re supposed to save on electricity, but I haven’t noticed even a dollar difference in our electric bill. They do cost about four times as much as an incandescent bulb though. Somehow I get the feeling that more than the light bulb is being screwed in the name of the environment.
There are some fixtures where incandescent bulbs perform better. For example outside porch lights, work lights, and ceiling lights. You see, the florescent bulbs take time to warm up. If it’s cold outside, your visitors will probably leave before they can really see the light when you turn it on.
Anyway, I went to get some 60 watt bulbs. Then I noticed that Walley World doesn’t have 60 watt bulbs anymore. Nope. They’ve replaced them with 54 watt bulbs. Just so you know, 75 watt bulbs are now 67 watts, 60 watt bulbs are now 54 watts and 40 watt bulbs are now 32 watts or something like that. I was never real good at math. My goodness, what nut thought that up?
The manufacturer is very honest by telling me the lower wattage yields lower lumens but suggests they are helping me save electricity. Wow! That must be high speed physics or something of that nature. Can you believe that lower wattage yields a dimmer bulb?
If you already have trouble seeing in dim light, you might as well not open your eyes at all. I wanted a 60 watt bulb. I don’t want a 54 watt bulb. So.....I bought the 67 watt bulbs to replace the 60 watters that have burned out.
Perhaps that extra electricity needed for those additional 7 watts will be wattage neutral when compared to the savings from the florescent bulbs. Or maybe this is the light manufacturer’s way of downsizing for the same price. I doubt that because all the standard incadescent bulbs cost the same regardless of wattage.
It’s kinda like the Federal budget. I’ll never completely understand the logic.
Vision update--don't look past the miracles
8 years ago
3 comments:
Let me get this straight: in their attempt to save the planet, they have forced you to use MORE electricity than if they had done nothing at all?
Bwahaaahaaaa!!!
I have almost completely changed ALL my bulbs to the new ones.I don't know if it is ME being more observant of turning lights off and not using electricity or if the bulbs actually worked but I most definately have had a drop in my bill by $50-$60 a month. But, I am being ULTRA conservative with heat/AC/electricity period. :)
That's just crazy.
Post a Comment