Where is the perfect location for a home? I don’t know the answer to that, but I do know a few things you ought to consider before buying a new home.
First, look at the neighborhood. Is there a degree of consistency in the neighborhood? In other words do any houses stand out as worse than others? Does one house have a bunch of cars parked in the yard or on the street? Are all the houses kept up with neat yards?
How old is the neighborhood? Many neighborhoods peak at about 20 years. What school district is it in? Are there any extra taxing districts that would cause your property taxes to be more than a neighborhood a mile away? What kind of condition are the streets in? Are the streets wavy? That’s a sign of poor soil.
Think of what you like about your current home. Does the new one have those features? What new features are available that you think are special? Remember, colors can be changed, and flooring and countertops can be changed.
Now back to the neighborhood. Is there a train track close by? If so, do you like train horns and the rumble, rumble sound associated with that? Are you near a church? Does the church ring bells or use electric chimes? We once lived near a church that started the electronic chimes at 7 a.m. every Sunday. When the church had a special event, cars were parked all up and down the street.
Is it on a through street or a cul de sac? If it is a through street, what kind of traffic does it have.....automobiles only or automobiles and large trucks. Could your children ride their bicycles on the street? How close are you to a highway? Those things are noisy 24-7.
Is it near an airport? Does the flight pattern go over the neighborhood? Can you hear planes taking off or landing?
What is within a mile or two of the neighborhood? Are there manufacturing plants in that radius? Do the plants cause extra noise, unpleasant odors, or extra traffic? Are any hazardous materials used? How about juke joints? And note that motorcycle repair shops are extra noisy; I learned that the hard way.
Is there zoning for the neighborhood or does it have protective covenants? Where does the fire protection come from? Where is the nearest fire hydrant? If it has a long winding driveway, could fire trucks get to the house?
Does the neighborhood have a crime, vandalism or nusiance problem? Ask the local police. Go on line and find out if anyone convicted of a sex crime lives in the neighborhood.
Who supplies the water? Who supplies the sewer system or does the neighborhood not have a sewer system? Are you in a flood zone? Is there a creek or pond located nearby. If it floods, where would the water flow? You don’t ever want to be downhill from water. 100 year floods do happen without warning. Do you have gas? Natural or propane? Does the neighborhood have access to cable television?
Lastly, drive through the neighborhood several times a day including the nights and roll down the windows. Listen for loud music or barking dogs, or anything else that might get on your nerves. Loud teens come and go, but barking dogs are always there.
Those are just a few questions and observations a home buyer should consider. I’m sure you have some other considerations you can think of.
Vision update--don't look past the miracles
8 years ago
4 comments:
Are you planning on relocating?
Or is this just a PSA...
Those are all excellent suggestions, by the way.
It's just a PSA. We now live on a cul-de-sac off of a cul-de-sac. No traffic, very quiet, and safe. This is about as close to the perfect location we have experienced after about 15 moves.
We learned something with each move. So I'm just sharing.
I don't think I'd be satisfied living anywhere but where I'm at. The home I was raised in. I was three months old when we moved in. We had to do some Katrina repairs and remodeling but to me it is "almost" perfect. I'd make a change or two after living here a couple of years now. Some family has asked me how can I sleep in the same bedroom where my daddy died but I find it comforting. When I dropped off the load of windows for my neighbor yesterday she said the same thing. Even though she is rebuilding where her house and husband burned she felt like she couldn't live any where else.
You are fortunate...probably rare. This is such a mobile society these days that most people don't have the deep feeling of "home" as you do.
Post a Comment