Monday, September 29, 2008

No Bailout

First of all a disclaimer: I am not an economist, I am not a banker, I am not in the mortgage or real estate business and don’t profess to know a whole lot about most things.

I hear warnings of another depression. I hear all kinds of scenarios of businesses going belly up. I hear it is absolutely necessary to bail out the economy.

Yes, we have a lot of strained financial institutions. Some are so mismanaged that they probably will fail while their corporate officers take millions in golden parachute benefits and move on to mismanage another company.

Tightening credit is not a bad thing. When I grew up, a few people had a credit account at department or grocery stores, but credit cards were non-existent. About the time I graduated college, I started receiving a credit card now and then. They were gasoline credit cards. My wife and I managed to get a Sears revolving charge card which meant we could purchase more than one item at a time on credit.

We paid cash for our food, cash for our gasoline, cash for our clothes, and cash for our meals out. It was a reasonably good system. If you had the money you could make the purchase. If you didn’t you just had to continue to wish.

During the time we matured to legal age, people could buy a car or a home IF they had a good credit record and the potential earnings to make the monthly payments. Even into the early-seventies, we continued to operate primarily as a cash based society. Inflation was almost unheard of. There were no corporate bailouts. If you screwed up, you screwed up. Learn your lesson and move forward. There’s nothing wrong with making a mistake. The problem occurs when you make it again.

On one of the blogs I read, someone mentioned we should shut down the stock markets for a week to allow for a “cooling off” period. That’s not a real bad idea.

I don’t think a buyout or bail out is necessary. When companies get themselves into financial trouble, let them go out of business or sell to another interested company. So what if a major manufacturer goes out of business? There are plenty of other manufacturers out there to take up the slack. So what if a major bank goes under? Their good book of business will be easily absorbed by other financial institutions.

Companies go out of business every day. Companies are sold every day. Companies fail every day. So let them do it.

I see no reason to “bail out” those who made bad decisions and who are apt to do it again. That would not solve the problem. It would simply exacerbate the problem. Oh yes, those who are in debt up to their eyeballs will probably shed tears and beg for relief. But people and companies who are financially responsible will continue to get along just fine.

4 comments:

Mrs.H said...

So many things just seem to be common sense. I agree with you. This fits right up there with my view of insurance. You should have medical coverage for the big, catastrophic things: surgery, lengthy expensive treatments. I don't think it should cover every office visit. Our society has gotten so spoiled and accustomed to instant gratification.

Jen said...

Well said OB. I really agree with all of this. Hubby & I paid off ALL our credit cards and swore them off for good. IF we can NOT pay cash for it then we don't get it. the only things we HAVE to finance are our vehicles & our house. That is it. I wish we could have paid for them but we couldn't and we only owe about/less than 2 years left. We both take good care of our vehicles & hope to make it to pay them off and enjoy not having a note. Then we can work on paying off the house.

But, I have to disagree with MrsH about the copay at the doctor.. I have to GO SO MUCH with my fertility problems & other female problems that Ihave NO control over, that the copay has saved my ass. I couldn't afford it and I can only imagine what would be wrong with me then. I don't abuse, I only use when I have to.

Then, I AM SCARED OF A DEPRESSION! I don't know what the hubby & I will do. A depression, to me, will make things worse. We would lose our vehicles & our home & our land we live on, that is assuming he is laid off..SO, why is it OUR fault & why do we have to suffer when we pay our bills on time and do not default? I am so pissed over this whole mess. I think the corporate GIANTS should be penalized, heavily.

tank said...

Everybody thought Mr. Bancroft (company founder) was greedy but I think he was just wise and frugal. He brought his lunch to work or would mooch off of others in the breakroom! Serioulsy. He left the company in excellent shape moneywise. That is the only reason we are still in business.

black betty said...

amen! my hubby and i have NO credit card debt. we pay cash for everything. my grandmaw was a HUGE advocate of NO credit...pay with cash. she ROCKED! :D

great post!!!