A very contentious issue is on the ballot this year in the general election in Mississippi. It is an attempt to legally define when life begins. Proponents and opponents are avid in their views. Some religious leaders are for the proposal, and some are against. Ditto for some doctors. There is no room for compromise.
A blog that I participate in has brought people together from all over the State. Some are liberals. Some are conservative. All are Americans. While I don't think the issue has been discussed on the blog, it has been discussed on Facebook. Since most members of the blog are "friends" on Facebook it is very likely that a stated opinion is known by all the other members.
Members of the blog are a diverse group. There are workers and retirees of various ages from different geographical areas. We come from different backgrounds. Yet, we pray for each other, ((hug)) each other, and encourage each other as we face the trials and tribulations of this life on earth.
Every now and then, we have an actual get together where we can meet and talk in person. Such occasions tend to solidify the relationships.
But because of different views on the proposed ballot issue, some of the bloggers have left the group for one reason or another. Perhaps they feel those with opposite views were not Christians and they don't want to affiliate with them in any way. Since no reason was given for their departure from the group, it is not possible to know exactly what hurt their feelings or turned them away from the group.
As I stated earlier, we are all Americans. We all have the rights, privileges, and freedoms that come with citizenship. That includes the freedom of speech and the freedom of religion. Whenever someone has an opinion they have a right to express it. Others will agree or disagree with the opinion, while some will just ignore it. But nobody can control your view point, your feeling, or your religious beliefs. Obviously we will all disagree sometime on some issue, action, or point. That's just part of being human.
One area which I will disagree with is any attempt to judge a person's belief in God or his or her religion. I think all of us on the blog are Christians. "Christian" is a title that is earned, not given.
With that in mind, I quote two passages of scripture. In the 22nd chapter of the Gospel according to Matthew, the Pharisees asked Jesus, “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” (NIV)
This passage is often referred to as the Great Commandment.
The second passage is an all time favorite. It is John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."(NIV)
Neither of those passages includes the word "except". They are all inclusive. To me, that means it is not your opinion of an issue that is important, it is your Christian belief that is most important. In this world, we have many "Christian" religions. I think all of them agree on the issue of eternal life and salvation with slight degrees of differences in how we express that belief.
And so, dear friends, I promise I will not question your faith if you express a different opinion on a political issue and I hope you will extend the same courtesy to me. May Christ's peace be with you.
Vision update--don't look past the miracles
8 years ago
4 comments:
Well stated Bob! May God Bless!
Like, like, like!
Thanks, sir.
I have been struggling with this issue for a while now. I am a Christian. I believe in the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. That said, I am somewhat of a liberal on quite a few issues and there are a lot of people who say liberals can not be Christian. Thank you so much for this post. You made me feel that maybe it is okay to be a liberal. I sincerely appreciate your words. God Bless you. Barb
Post a Comment