Saturday, August 1, 2009

My Recent Non-transaction

I've been looking for a new weed eater AKA gas powered string trimmer. I've researched them on Consumer Reports and other web sites. Over all, I have determined that none of them are worth a darn.

Consumer Reports recommends Stihl. But when you read the consumer ratings, you want to look at something else. I looked in the stores and finally decided to go with Craftsman by Sears.

I went to the Sears website and checked out all of their models, read about them and perused the customer ratings. I finally decided to purchase one. So I went to my local Sears outlet. They didn't have it but would order me one.

I went back to the web and checked the availability at all the local Sears stores. Nada, nothing, nobody has that model. So I decided to order it on the web. Everything went fine until it came to "checkout" and the site wouldn't go there. I tried about a half dozen times but always had the same result.

So I wrote down the model number, the price, the sales discount, and called Sears. After hanging on the line a few minutes, a live person came on the line to assist me with my purchase. He was impressed that I had both the Sears item number and model number. He noted it was on sale and his figures matched mine.

Then he asked if I wanted to purchase the extended warranty. Knowing the miniscule life expectancy of string trimmers, I decided to purchase the warranty which was good for three years.

So, he began adding up the figures and put in $9.95 for shipping.

"You're kidding aren't you?"

"No sir".

He told me I must pay for shipping but it comes directly to my house and not the local Sears outlet. Well that sorta pissed me off, so I told him to remove the extended warranty. Then he gave me another total.

I explained that the Sears website said I get another 10% off for using my Sears card. He seemed confused but checked and said I was right. So he proceeded to give me a credit of $9.95 for my 10% discount. I explained that his math was way wrong. That was far less than 10%. He said there wasn't anything he could do about it, because that's the way the computer figured it.

So I told him his figures weren't adding up correctly. Then I said, "Tell you what, let's just cancel the whole thing."

"The whole thing?", he asked.

"Yep", I said, "the whole thing." "This order is cancelled." End of conversation.

I purchase a lot of items at Sears. In recent years I've purchased a refrigerator, dishwasher, double convection oven, smooth glass cook top, and a microwave. All of that was purchased at one time and I got a 10% discount for using my Sears card. I purchased a riding mower and somehow, got a senior citizen 10% discount. My gas grill had a few scratches on it so they knocked off 5%. I paid full price for a hedge trimmer. All of those purchases have been hassle free.

But this time, it just wasn't right.

3 comments:

parrotmom said...

I agree with you. when it is that much hassle give it up. I have always been happy with my Weedeater Feather lite brand.

tank said...

DR Trimmer. I get tired out carrying the gas trimmers but this one is on wheels and is much easier for me. We also have the edger attachment and the blade.

I found some cute shoes for the girls on clearance online at Sears a week ago, $4.99 each. But the shipping was almost $6.00 so I didn't proceed w/that order.

I paid a 9% "take out tax" at the McDonald's in Flowood yesterday. I ran in to get one order of fries, had my $1.07 ready and she said $1.09. I said how can that be? She had no idea. So I paid it and my receipt says "take out tax". If I had known that I would have told them I was dining in and took the fries out in my hand. Sure, it's only two cents but it's just the idea. Is that legal anyway? I may email the ag's office and ask.

Jen said...

I *loathe* Sears. It is NEVER just a simple purchase with them. I really do NOT get WHY they just want to be so difficult!!


Stihl is one of the best BUT Stihl's always need a little work, like something really small. My hubby has everything Stihl and it lasts for YEARS, so far, 5 years and still like brand new. SO, consider one of them. It's not as bad as some may say.

Sears should just shut their dang doors, they are a pain in the ass. I have gone off on a Sears tire shop guy so bad that I am surprised I didn't get arrested.