Friday, March 27, 2009

Applying for Medicare

This year I become Medicare eligible. Dang, I don't feel that old. In fact, I received my Medicare card the other day saying I have coverage beginning May 1 of this year.

I've never been very good a manuvering through government red tape. But I realize I really must learn when I start dealing with the Social Security Administration.

To get a Medicaid card, you must apply before you turn 65....about 3 months before. All the web sites say they will mail you a card about that time. Well, they didn't do it for me.

I found that if you are not already drawing social security, they do not just automatically mail you a card. You must go to a Social Security office, or better yet, call them on the telephone to apply for your Medicare.

I checked and found the Jackson Social Security office averages a four hour wait for an interview. I tried calling them, but never got past the automated message. So I decided to try an end run. I called over to Vicksburg and asked if I could apply there. "Sure can". But rather than go over there, they promised to call me on a specific day at a specific time. They even gave me an automated phone call reminder the day before.

I was told to have my birth certificate handy. I did, and the call came through as promised. The nice lady asked me a number of questions about my recent wages and a little about my birth certificate. Then she said she wasn't sure if I could draw a social security check with the salary I currently make. I told her I didn't want to apply for a social security benefit, only for Medicare.

That was simple. She said the card would be mailed to me in about three weeks. And sure enough it was.

There are two lessons here.

1. YOU must apply for the card unless you are already drawing Social Security. None of the web sites I went to told me that.

2. You are better off using a smaller Social Security office to avoid the long lines in large populated areas. They all handle the same benefits and are there to serve Americans, not just Mississippians.

I hope this helps others who are entering that period of life.

3 comments:

dhcoop said...

um, well, ok...I'm not quite there yet, but thanks for the advice! :P

Seriously, this is good info for those who are there, and I have a couple of friends who are getting close. I'll pass it on. Thanks!

watercolordaisy said...

hmmm.... I am sure it will change before I get there, lol.

Jen said...

I do NOT call the Jackson office for ANYTHING. It is AWFUL!!!!!!! I have to call for my Grandmother and deal with her stuff. I call the Forest office or Philadelphia--way NICER and MUCH faster. Heck, I don't even think I've ever had to be put on hold, no automated or anything.

I'm glad you called another office, so many people have NO idea they can deal with another office besides the one in their town.